F1 extends deal with Australian Grand Prix until 2035

0
Placeholder while loading article actions

Formula 1 announced on Thursday a 10-year contract extension with the Australian Grand Prix to continue racing in Melbourne until 2035.

The new deal will also bring the Formula 2 and Formula 3 feeder series to the circuit for the first time from next year. The organizers have also promised improvements to the paddock and pit lane.

“The Australian Grand Prix has never been bigger, with more than 419,000 people flocking to Albert Park for this year’s race,” said Martin Pakula, the government’s Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events. Victorian.

“We know how important this event is to our economy and that’s why we’ve scheduled the longest extension to the race since it took place in Melbourne.”

Albert Park has hosted 25 F1 races since 1996, but had no events in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic. F1’s return in April drew the biggest three-day crowd for a weekend sporting event in Australian history.

“Racing has always been a favorite for fans, drivers and teams and Melbourne is an incredible and vibrant international city which is a perfect fit for our sport,” said F1 chairman Stefano Domenicali.

“This year we saw huge crowds and passionate fans at the Grand Prix, and we are very excited about the future in Australia as our sport continues to grow.”

F1 will add Las Vegas in 2023, along with Qatar, which debuted on the calendar last year but is taking a break this year for the World Cup. Domenicali traveled to South Africa this week to meet with representatives of Kyalami Circuit near Johannesburg over his addition to the 2023 calendar.

South Africa last hosted an F1 race in 1993. Africa is the only continent outside Antarctica that does not have a race on the current calendar.

F1 is aiming for 24 events on the 2023 programme.

More AP Auto Racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Share.

Comments are closed.