LAS VEGAS – (COMMERCIAL THREAD) – Health Plan of Nevada (HPN), a UnitedHealthcare company and part of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), is providing $ 1 million in Empower health grants to six community organizations in Nevada to expand access to care and address the social determinants of health for the uninsured and underserved communities.
In total, UnitedHealthcare, the parent company of HPN, is donating $ 11.4 million through Empowering Health grants in 18 states and the District of Columbia. The grants will help individuals and families facing food insecurity, social isolation and behavioral health issues, and support local health promotion and health literacy efforts.
Grant recipients in Nevada include:
- The just one project – $ 300,000 to expand the community family market, giving low-income families in Las Vegas access to healthy foods and providing comprehensive services through case management, including on-demand assistance from the supplemental nutrition assistance program, transportation resources, health care referrals, and financial education.
- Northern Nevada Food Bank – $ 205,000 to expand the Prescription Pantry program to Carson City and Elko, Lyon and Mineral counties, providing food insecure and chronically ill people with access to healthier foods tailored to their needs specific thanks to partnerships with hospitals and clinics.
- Vaccinate Nevada – $ 175,000 to help increase childhood immunization rates and reduce significant disparities by hiring a vaccine equity officer, conducting a study to identify immunization gaps, and providing education on immunization. vaccination and free vaccination clinics in communities with identified gaps.
- United Citizens Foundation – $ 150,000 to support access to holistic, patient-centered mental and behavioral health care for students and families in the Clark County School District who are uninsured, undocumented or failing to meet funding source guidelines.
- Southern Nevada Medical Volunteers – $ 150,000 to support access to integrated health care, including behavioral health and social services, for the uninsured population of Las Vegas.
- Living Grace Houses – $ 20,000 for health education programs for young homeless, pregnant and parental women.
“Social and economic factors have a profound impact on achieving and maintaining good health,” said Kelly Simonson, president of the Nevada Health Plan’s Medicaid plan. “Through Empowering Health Grants, we are working with local organizations to provide Nevada residents with better access to essential resources in high-risk and needy communities, so they can live healthier lives.”
Good health is more than just a visit to a doctor. According to the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, nearly 80% of what influences a person’s health is related to non-medical issues, such as food, shelter, transportation, and the financial means to pay for daily needs. basic. And for many, the global pandemic has caused additional social and economic challenges that continue to affect healthy behaviors and exacerbate health disparities.
Since launching its Empowering Health commitment in 2018, UnitedHealthcare has now invested more than $ 40 million in Empowering Health grants reaching more than 6 million people through partnerships with community organizations in 29 states.
UnitedHealth Group, including UnitedHealthcare and Optum, and its affiliates, is committed to reducing health disparities and building healthier communities by supporting programs to improve access to care and address key determinants of health. Other recent investments include a $ 2.6 million investment over three years Partnership with Touro University Nevada to improve maternal health in southern Nevada.
Additionally, UnitedHealth Group has invested more than $ 500 million in affordable housing communities since 2011, partnered with food banks and meal delivery services, and in 2019 joined the American Medical Association to standardize how data on the social determinants of health is collected and used to create more holistic care plans.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making the healthcare system work better for everyone by simplifying the healthcare experience, meeting consumer healthcare needs and well-being and maintaining trusting relationships with health care providers. In the United States, UnitedHealthcare offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 1.3 million physicians and healthcare professionals. health, and 6,500 hospitals and other health care facilities nationwide. The company also provides health benefits and provides care to people through healthcare facilities owned and operated in South America. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified healthcare company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at www.uhc.com or follow @CHU on Twitter.