The Latest: London will maintain mask use on public transport

0

Updated 31 minutes ago

LONDON – The mayor of London has called on the body overseeing transport in the capital to impose the use of face masks on buses and trains as a “condition of carriage” after legal restrictions were lifted in England on July 19 .

Sadiq Khan said on Wednesday he was “not prepared” to “endanger” transport users in the capital by removing the rules on face coverings after the legal requirement to wear them was lifted.

The conditions of carriage are contractual terms between passengers and Transport for London, which oversees public transport in London. Depending on their terms, enforcement officers could deny access or eject passengers not wearing masks while using the metro, buses and streetcars.

Earlier this week, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed that most of the coronavirus restrictions in England, including the mandatory wearing of masks in many indoor public places, will end as part of the final stage of his leaf out of the coronavirus lockdown. However, Johnson urged people to be careful and exercise their “personal responsibility.”

___

MORE ON THE PANDEMIC:

– Daily cases in the United States have doubled in recent weeks, due to holiday gatherings amid slowing vaccinations

– Licensed immunization official says Tennessee leaders are putting policy on children’s health

– Sri Lanka’s economy in crisis after tourism pandemic crippled

– Follow AP’s pandemic coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic and https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-vaccine

___

HERE’S WHAT ELSE IS:

SINGAPORE – A ship operated by Genting Cruise Lines has returned to the port of Singapore after a suspected case of COVID-19 on board triggered a health alert. Some 2,900 passengers and crew remain on board awaiting test results.

Singapore Tourism Board cruise director Annie Chang said a 40-year-old passenger was isolated on Tuesday after being identified as close contact of a confirmed case ashore. She says he later tested positive for COVID-19 aboard the World Dream cruise ship and was sent to a hospital for further testing. His three traveling companions tested negative.

Chang says all leisure activities aboard the World Dream cruise ship have ceased, with the ship undergoing a full disinfection process after returning to port early Wednesday. All passengers are confined to their cabins until test results are known and contact tracing is complete.

Dream Cruises, a unit of Genting Cruise Lines, said the ship left on Sunday for a three-night cruise with 1,646 passengers and 1,249 crew. The company said as a precaution, World Dream’s next two-night cruise, which was due to depart Wednesday night, has been canceled.

___

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korea has confirmed 1,615 new patients with COVID-19, a new national record for daily cases, as authorities fight to curb a viral resurgence that has brought its capital region under rule strictest distancing.

The new cases reported on Wednesday brought the country’s total to 171,911 with 2,048 deaths.

Senior health official Lee Ki-Il told reporters that 1,179 of the new cases were from the Seoul metropolitan area, marking the first time the capital region has exceeded 1,000 daily cases since the start of the pandemic. .

Lee says the recently enforced strict distancing rules need at least a week to show effects. He urges the public to refrain from traveling or attending non-essential gatherings and to stay at home until next week.

Private gatherings of three or more people after 6 p.m. have been banned in the Seoul area since Monday. Nightclubs and other high-risk nightlife venues have also been ordered to close for two weeks.

___

LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles County reports the fifth consecutive day of more than 1,000 new cases of coronavirus.

Health officials warned Tuesday that the most contagious delta variant of the virus continues to spread rapidly among unvaccinated people in the state.

Los Angeles County is home to a quarter of California’s 40 million people. County officials have reported new cases totaling 1,103 for the previous 24 hours. County officials said the five-day average of cases is 1,095 – a jump of more than 500% in just one month.

The state, meanwhile, has reported 3,256 newly confirmed coronavirus infections – the highest one-day total since early March.

___

SYDNEY – Officials in Sydney say Australia’s largest city will remain closed for at least five weeks due to the continued spread of the coronavirus.

New South Wales State Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Wednesday Sydney’s 5 million residents would remain locked up until at least July 30, two more weeks than expected.

The extension comes after 97 new infections were reported Wednesday in the last 24-hour period, including 24 that had been contagious in the community.

Berejiklian says the daily tally of infectious people in the community will need to be close to zero before the lockdown ends.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply